Srinagar:IG Kashmir Munir Khan said that the people who provided the militants logistical help in Amarnath yatra attack and acted as their guides have also been identified.
The Inspector General of Jammu and Kashmir Police Munir Ahmad Khan on Sunday that said militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba was responsible for the attack on Amarnath Yatra pilgrims in Anantnag on July 10, The attack had left eightpilgrims dead.
Press Release issued during the Press Conference of IGP Kashmir Zone is below as under
- Investigation conducted by Special Investigation Team (SIT) of case FIR No. No. 157/2017 U/S 302, 307, 427 RPC 7/27 A.Act, 16, 18, 20 UA(P) Act 1967 of P/S Anantnag involving SANJY vehicle attack at Batengoo District Anantnag on 10-07-2017, has revealed that banned outfit organization Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) was behind the said attack.
- During the investigation three (03) accused persons have been arrested so far. These accused persons are:
A). Bilal Ahmad Reshi (Shopkeeper) of Iqbal Mohalla Bijbehara.
B).Aijaz Ahmad Wagay (Med. Rep.)of Poshkreeri, Sirigufwara.
C). Zahoor Ahmad Sheikh (Adhoc SRTC Driver) of Khudwani.
- Investigation conducted has established that these accused persons in association with four (04) terrorists namely 1). Ismail @ Haroon 2). Maaviya 3) Furqan and 04) Yawar Bashir @ AyanS/O Bashir Ahmad Wani R/O Hablish, Devsar Kulgam carried out the attack. Among four (04) terrorists, three 03 (S.No. 1,2,3) were foreigners and one 01 (S.No. 04) is a local terrorist. Pertinently Yawar had joined LeT in the month of February 1st 2017. Before that he was a student of religious seminary Darul-Uloom Bilaliya, Srinagar. He looted weapon from police personnel on 04-02-2017 at Hazratbal, Srinagar and joined terrorist ranks.
- The said conspiracy was hatched by the terrorists with active support of arrested persons by way of transporting terrorists through vehicles, providing shelter to the terrorists, and actively carrying out reconnaissance of places for attack.
- Accused persons have been arrested, produced before court and are on police remand. Photographs of two (02) terrorists involved in the crime namely Ismail @ Haroon and Yawar Bashir @ Ayan are released herewith for seeking information from the general public.
06. During the investigation tangible material evidences have been collected for establishing the complicity of the arrested persons in the crime.
Investigation of case is in progress for apprehension of the absconding accused persons.
The four attackers have been identified as Ismail alias Haroon, Maaviya, Furqan and Yawar Bashir alias Ayan, said Jammu and Kashmir Inspector General of Police Munir Khan said. “Ismail, a Pakistani militant belonging to the LeT, along with two other Pakistani militants, and a local Kashmiri militant from the LeT carried out the attack,” Khan said. Yawar Bashir joined the Lashkar-e-Taiba on February 4, 2017 after stealing a weapon from a police officer, the press release said.
Three people – Bilal Ahmad Reshi, a shopkeeper, Aijaz Ahmad Wagay, a medical representative, and Zahoor Ahmad Sheikh, a driver – have been arrested in connection with the attack and produced before the court, Khan said. The accused have been sent to police custody.
The arrested individuals helped the attackers by providing them transportation facilities, shelter and also undertook reconnaisance missions before the attack, the police said.
The IGP added that the police were investigating whether two Lashkar-e-Taiba militants recently killed by security forces were involved in the Amarnath yatra attack.
The IGP said that the militants had initially planned the attack for July 9, but it was postponed since there was no movement of vehicles belonging to the Central Reserve Police Force or the Amarnath yatra pilgrims that day. Khan said the militants used the code word “Bilal” for a CRPF vehicle and “Shaukat” for a vehicle belonging to the Amarnath pilgrims.