Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended this year’s edition of the World Sufi Forum on Thursday (17th March 2016) in New Delhi and proceeded to speak about India and sufism in a very well-written speech which was delivered in trademark Modi-Style.
The speech touched many important points like India’s diversity, Islam in India, war on terror, not waging war on Islam, rise and spread of Sufism and as always random anecdotes from people who are left rolling in their graves later.
In fact, such was the impact of his speech that many people were in-fact influenced to imbibe sufism and its tenets into our daily lives.
We share these 15 quotes from his speech,Read on:
- When he spoke about the heart of India and its tolerant nature
Like our nation, the city’s (Delhi’s) heart has place for every faith, from those with few followers to those with billion believers.
- When he told that Sufi’s are the hope in these dark times
At a time when the dark shadow of violence is becoming longer, you are the noor or the light of hope. When young laughter is silenced by guns on the streets, you are the voice that heals.
- When he praised the unity shown by Sufis
In a world that struggles to assemble for peace and justice, this is an assembly of those whose life itself is a message of peace, tolerance and love.
- When he praised the diversity of Islamic civilisation
You represent the rich diversity of the Islamic civilization that stands on the solid bedrock of a great religion.
- When he quoted Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti
In the words of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti, of all the worships, the worship that pleases the Almighty God the most is the grant of relief to the humble and the oppressed.
- And showed off his deep understanding of Islam
When we recall the ninety-nine names of Allah, none of them stand for violence. He is both Rahman and Rahim.
- When he reiterated his faith in Islam’s conviction against terror
The ideals of Islam have always rejected the forces of terrorism and extremism.
- When he stressed that how important secularism is to India (we are sure no one taking it out of the preamble now!)
All our people – Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Jains, Buddhists, the micro-minority of Parsis, believers, non-believers, are all an integral part of India.
- When he talked about the impact of terror on World Economy
Every year, we spend a 100 billion dollars in securing the world from terrorism. This is money that should be spent improving the lives of the poor.
- And he said that terror is not religion, but anti-religion
Those who spread terror in the name of religion are anti-religious.
- He continued talking sense about War on terror
The fight against terrorism is not a confrontation against any religion. It cannot be.
- Again praising Diversity; raising a toast to it!
Diversity is a basic reality of Nature and source of richness of a society; and, it should not be a cause of discord.
- Stressing on being human more than being hindu or being muslim!
The global community must be more vigilant than ever before to encounter the forces of darkness with the light of human values.
- I knew he be my homie when he quoted Rumi!
Sufi poet Jalaluddin Rumi’s words, “Contain all human faces in your own, without any judgment of them.”
- He talked about and aknowledged the nationalistic pride of Muslims!
It is this spirit of Sufism, the love for their country and the pride in their nation that define the Muslims in India.
Say, what may about the Indian government and it’s stand on religious freedom, Modiji has proved beyond doubt that as a leader of this great nation of diverse people, he strongly backs any citizen who is truly committed to the cause of India; irrespective of his faith.