Miscreants who lynched Dy SP outside Jamia Masjid were there to welcome Mirwaiz:IG Kashmir

wilayattimes (Jammu and Kashmir)

Srinagar:On 22-06-2017, DYSP Mohammad Ayoub Pandith from Security Wing of J&K Police along with others was detailed for Access Control Duty at Jamia Masjid, Srinagar on the eve of Shab-i-Qadar. The officer while performing his duties was caught by an unruly mob near Jamia Masjid and Lynched. On this case FIR No: 51/2017 under section 302, 148, 149, 341, 392 RPC and 13 Unlawful (P) Act was registered in Police Station, Nowhatta and investigations were set into motion.
The incident received widespread condemnation across all sections of the society. Therefore, keeping in view the gravity of the offence, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by SP City North, Srinagar was constituted to carry out the investigation expeditiously. The investigation is being carried out in a professional and a meticulous manner.
In a Statement Issued by Police Media Centre to Wilayat Times,Addressing a press conference in Srinagar,IGP Kashmir Munir Ahmad Khan said that the investigations have revealed that the people accused in the lynching case came out of the Jamia after offering 8 Rakaats of Taraweeh. “They were raising Zakir Musa slogans and were going to welcome Mirwaiz Umar Farooq.”
It was encouraging to note that a very good response was received from general Public and eyewitnesses voluntarily came forward to render assistance in the investigation and provide valuable information regarding the incident. Statements of eyewitnesses and all concerned were recorded under relevant provisions of law, which has led to a substantial headway in the investigations. The main culprits involved in the commission of the heinous crime were identified and subsequently arrested.
On the basis of disclosures made by the accused, the important pieces of evidence including the weapon of offence (Iron Rod), Identity Card, Service Pistol (in a damaged condition) and the Cell Phone of the deceased officer have been recovered.
In the initial Phase, four of the main accused were identified and arrested, which led to subsequent arrests. It has surfaced that a group of assailants saw the officer checking the security personnel deployed for access control duties of the Jamia Masjid and as soon as the officer came out of the premises of the Masjid, the assailants heckled him.
It was during the course of this time, a number of miscreants assembled there joined these assailants and started beating the officer leading to his lynching. The officer in self-defense fired some shots from his Service Pistol below the waistline causing injury to 3 assailants who were in his immediate proximity and were heckling him. However, the mob continued to beat him, which ended in his lynching.
During investigations, statements of a number of eyewitnesses have been recorded before the Hon’ble court of CJM Under Section 164-A CrPC.
It is also important to state that the post mortem report has been received which reveals, “Fatal Head Injuries/ Face injuries resulting in vital organ damage and his spontaneous death.’’ The Weapon of offence recovered corroborates the same.
So far twenty assailants (20) involved in the incident have been arrested in the case and one of the accused namely Sajad Ahmmad Gilkar @ Saja Bilu son of Nazir Ahmad Gilkar Resident of Pandan, Nowhatta has been killed in an encounter on 12/07/2017 at Redbugh, Budgam.
Needless to say, vigorous efforts are being made for identification and arrest of the remaining assailants involved in the commission of crime, besides recovery of other evidences related to the commission of the crime is underway.
The investigation of the case is going on at a fast pace and some more arrests are expected which will lead to the completion of the investigation and the case will be submitted for judicial determination within the stipulated time frame.
Asked whether Police is going to question Mirwaiz, the police chief said, “Yes, if need arises.”